SEIU Local 668 Steward elections are happening this January. The first step to participating is signing up for the SEIU Local 668 member portal. You can find the member portal on the top right-hand side of our website. Nominations for Stewards and voting will take place on the member portal. So sign up for the portal today!
Watch this video to learn how to nominate and vote for your Shop Steward.
Check out the instructional video to make a Member Portal Account.
What does the Shop Steward do?
- Forms a labor-management/Safety Committee that meets with management and discusses problems in the workplace.
- Investigates/writes/files member grievances- If you have never done this before, don’t worry! Our Local holds training for new stewards.
- Meet with new members during new employee orientation and tell them all the benefits of union membership.
- Keep all members informed about contract negotiations, labor-management meetings, and mobilization activities.
- Attend monthly chapter meetings.
You do not have to do all these things yourself. For example, engage the membership; maybe you have a member who loves to talk to new co-workers and ask them to help with new employee orientation. If you can’t attend a chapter meeting, ask another shop member to be there and report back.
Who can be nominated for Shop Steward or Alternate Shop Steward?
- Only dues-paying members can be shop stewards or alternate shop stewards;
- Any dues-paying member can nominate another member to be a steward or alternate steward and;
- A member can also nominate themselves.
Shop Steward Election Process
- Each shop will form an Election Committee;
- The elections committee will consist of 3-5 members who will not be on the ballot for shop steward;
- The Election committee will get the list of members eligible to run for shop steward and vote in the election and;
- The members of the shop will nominate members or themselves on the member portal.